Curry Barker made Obsession for $750,000. Fifteen months later, he has an eight-figure deal with Universal and Blumhouse Atomic Monster for a film with no finished script, no announced plot, and no attached cast. The dollar figures got bigger at every step between a free YouTube upload and that deal.
What actually moved wasn’t the budget.
What actually got him noticed
Barker and creative partner Cooper Tomlinson met during their first week at the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles, then dropped out and started posting sketches and short films under the channel “That’s a Bad Idea,” which Barker has described as “our film school outside of film school” while working at Starbucks. His 2023 short “The Chair” drew more than 10 million YouTube views and industry attention. The bigger break came from “Milk & Serial,” a found-footage horror short about YouTube pranksters, made for $800 and left without a distributor for a year before Barker put it on YouTube for free in 2024. It went viral and landed him a United Talent Agency representation deal in early 2025.
What Obsession actually cost, and what it actually returned
Obsession, Barker’s feature debut, carried a reported production budget of $750,000 and premiered at TIFF’s Midnight Madness section on September 5, 2025. Two days later, Focus Features moved to acquire worldwide distribution rights for $14 to $15 million, the highest price a genre film had commanded in TIFF history. The film opened domestically on May 15, 2026 to $17.2 million from 2,615 theaters, then kept climbing: by June 21, 2026, it had crossed $215.8 million domestically, passing It Chapter Two’s $211.6 million U.S. total to become the seventh-highest-grossing horror film in American theatrical history. By that summer its worldwide total had topped $400 million, making it Focus Features’ highest-grossing release ever.
What Blumhouse actually signed him for, first
The first follow-on deal came before Obsession even reached theaters. On September 3, 2025, two days ahead of the TIFF premiere, Blumhouse Productions, Roy Lee and Steven Schneider’s Spooky Pictures, and Divide/Conquer announced “Anything But Ghosts,” with Barker writing, directing, and co-starring alongside Tomlinson, for release through Focus Features. The cast that came together around it, Aaron Paul, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Violet McGraw, is a different scale of name than anything in a $750,000 debut. The film follows two con artists posing as ghost hunters who run into a real entity, and Barker has said it shares continuity with Obsession, referencing its events through a news-anchor aside about a triple homicide.
What Blumhouse actually signed him for, second
The second deal came after Obsession’s box office run was well underway, once the first film’s numbers were no longer a projection. On June 18, 2026, Variety reported that Barker had signed with Universal Film Group and Blumhouse Atomic Monster for a third original horror film, plot undisclosed, in what multiple outlets described as an eight-figure deal. James Wan and Jason Blum’s joint statement called it proof “the best filmmakers can work anywhere, and we are proud to have a growing slate with Curry.” NBCUniversal Entertainment chairman Donna Langley said Barker’s “talent is redefining what’s possible.”
Why the bigger offer never got the chance
While Obsession was still playing in theaters, a rival studio made Barker an unsolicited, sight-unseen offer north of $10 million for his next project. The offer never became a real choice: a first-look arrangement signed before Obsession’s release had already given Blumhouse Atomic Monster the right of first negotiation on Barker’s next original feature, and the rival studio backed off once it learned that. Universal and Blumhouse then closed their own eight-figure deal, with no public dollar figure attached beyond “eight-figure” — the team that had backed his $750,000 film got the first shot, and took it.
What this actually fits into
Barker isn’t an isolated case. The same reporting that surfaced his rival offer describes studios chasing Kane Parsons, a 20-year-old who turned a YouTube short series called Backrooms into a $10 million A24 film that became the studio’s highest-grossing release ever, crossing $100 million domestically within six days of release, with Warner Bros. executives flying to meet him and Universal’s Donna Langley making her own approach. Warner Bros. separately won a five-studio bidding war for the rights to Siren Head, another internet-native horror property, and Amazon MGM won a comparable fight for The Mandela Catalogue. As The Hollywood Reporter has framed the calculus, landing a creator early could mean hundreds of millions in profits, or in the best case more than $1 billion, for a studio over the course of a career. Barker’s eight-figure deal reads less like a reward for one hit and more like a studio buying early into whatever he makes next.
The trajectory runs from an $800 camcorder short with no distributor to a $750,000 feature that became a studio’s highest-grossing release ever, to an eight-figure deal signed before there was a script to greenlight. The multiple that matters isn’t the size of the budgets moving from four figures to nine. It’s that the last deal was made purely on the strength of what the previous film’s numbers had already proven, with nothing yet on paper for the next one.
Related Stories from The Blog Herald
- YouTube’s first monetization change since 2018 skips the bad-actors framing and lands squarely on the roughly 85,000 channels that made the old bar work for them
- Markiplier turned 38 million YouTube subscribers into 4,161 theaters willing to bet on Iron Lung, without a studio in sight
- Psychology says older adults who scroll the most in the evening usually aren’t the loneliest people in the house. They’re often the ones who found it, quietly, the safest substitute they have left for calling someone directly.
