WordPress Theme Viewer still “under construction”. WordPress as a foundation for a social network? More WordPress security issues. The Austin WordPress group gets bigger. Gravatars for WordPress.com users. New WordPress Podcast released. WordPress books. Matt Cutts speaks well of WordPress. And even more WordPress news, rumors, assumptions, and expectations.
Nathan Rice reminded us that the WordPress Theme Viewer is still closed to access by Theme designers, and Matt Mullenweg offered updated news on the status and their attempts to create a new Subversion-backed database for Themes and improves to filtering Themes for user security.
WordPress Security News: WordPress developers work overtime on security vulnerabilities, releasing updates as fast as they can in response to a threat. Still, you need to keep up with the news on security issues and risks and update WordPress when a new mandatory release comes out.
The most recent news on WordPress security includes:
- Blog Security – WordPress information disclosure vulnerability
- Blog Security – WordPress 2.3.1 Charset SQL Injection Vulnerability
- Blog Security – WordPress 2.3.1 SQL Injection Vulnerability
- Scott Rosenber’s WordYard – Hacks on WordPress footers
- Gigaom – Are Hackers Exploiting WordPress Themes?
- Blog Security – Multiple WordPress Plugin Vulnerabilities
- Blog Security – Guest Blogger: Web Business Blogs Get Hacked
- Blog Security – Secure WP Whitepaper
- Blog Security – WP Hardening Project
Blog Security offers the WPIDS – WordPress Intruder Detection System which is designed to detect attacks on your blog, wpdberrors WordPress Plugin which helps hide error alerts, and WP Scanner WordPress Plugin which checks for vulnerabilities in your blog, Theme and elsewhere.
Buy WordPress Stuff: Too late for international shipping in time for the holidays, but there may still be time to give the gift of WordPress in the United States and Canada. There are t-shirts and hoodies for sale in the WordPress Shop. They warn that if you want your WordPress goodies to arrive in time for the holidays you need to order them now, and list the shipment arrival dates for countries around the world. I’m still waiting for the coffee mugs.
WordPress on Your Calendar: So far this December, ten new members have joined the Austin WordPress group that meets every month in Austin, Texas. The group has grown to more than 45 members and continues to expand. With the upcoming WordCamp Dallas, expect this group to grow even more. Are you involved with a WordPress group or club in your area? Make sure you announce meetings on the WordPress Meetup list and let me know so I can help promote your group’s activities.
- The New York City WordPress December Meetup – December 15, 2007
- Austin WordPress Meetup, Texas – December 18, 2007
- The Baltimore-Washington WordPress December Meetup – December 22, 2007
- WordPress 2.4 Released – January 24, 2007
- WordCamp Hamburg – January 26-27, 2008
- WordCamp Dallas – March 29-30, 2008
- WordPress 2.5 – April 1, 2008
- WordPress 2.5 – May 5, 2008
- WordCamp 2008 in San Francisco – July 2008 (waiting confirmation)
If you are having a WordPress-related event that isn’t on the calendar, post them below or via email.
WordPress 2.4 Digest: Westi’s Weekly Digest this week lists a ton of improvements and fixes for WordPress 2.4 including removal of unused variables, allowing Plugins to handle Administration Panel access failures, improvements to wp-mail.php, private posts, next and previous post link template tags, AJAX fade colors, and more.
WordPress Podcast: A new episode of the WordPress Podcast is out. Episode 32: Automattic Rumors, Lorelle Provides WordPress.com News includes an interview with Jonathan Bailey of Plagiarism Today and the Blog Herald discussing copyright issues and content theft, rumors of Automattic’s financial ventures, the WordPress.com Premium Theme Marketplace, and Lorelle joining as a reporter for news on WordPress.com.
Looking for WordPress Books? WPThemesPlugin offers a summary of the WordPress books published over the past couple years. The list includes my book, Blogging Tips (which is about blogging not WordPress specifically), WordPress 2 Visual QuickStart Guide, WordPress Complete, and the new WordPress For Dummies, among others.
Perishable Press recently moved their WordPress blog and offers a wide range of tips and information on finding a new web host for a WordPress blog, with great tips for dealing with the “WordPress-white-screen-of-death troubleshooting strategy.”
Vote for WordPress Ideas: Want your say in the next version of WordPress? The WordPress Ideas section on WordPress is an open forum for you to have your say. Why not take advantage of it and add your voice to the vote.
Last Week’s WordPress Wednesday News: Last week’s WordPress Wednesday News report covered WordPress Themes Hacked, WordPress Schwag for Sale, Life Without Akismet, Flickr Edits, and New WordPress Baby, if you would like to catch up with the news on WordPress.
Gravatars for WordPress.com: Gravatars support has been enabled for all WordPress.com users which Matt claims will “help build a sense of community around your readers, and keep people coming back to the comments.” Not sure about that, but at least they will have something to look at next to your comment. :D
What’s Hot on WordPress.com? The hottest blogs on WordPress.com were:
- Lolcats ‘n’ Funny Pictures – I Can Has Cheezburger?
- CNN Political Ticker
- The Page
- pollycoke :)
- Les Amateurs de Stars
- Loldogs ‘n’ Cute Puppy Pictures – I Has A Hotdog!
- Club Penguin Cheats l Glitches l Secrets
- Scobleizer — Tech geek blogger
The hottest blog posts on WordPress.com were:
- CNN N.H. Poll: Obama, Clinton tied; Romney remains strong
- Cesc, Hleb, Flamini and Robin all back against Chelsea!
- The Next Social Network: WordPress
- Winfrey Says No to Obama Ads
- Wait Until You Read This…
- Mike Huckabee’s weight loss scam
- Las cangrejas vírgenes de Madagascar
- NICE TO MEETS YOU
New To WordPress.com: If you are new to blogging on WordPress.com, check out this basic guide on What Do I Do With My New WordPress.com Blog?.
WordPress Plugins and Themes News
Fast Updating: Worried about updating WordPress? The InstantUpgrade WordPress Plugin makes the process simple and easy.
WordPress Admin Bar WordPress Plugin Updated: One of my favorite WordPress Plugins, WordPress Admin Bar WordPress Plugin has been totally updated by Viper007bond. It creates a simple to use drop down menu for the WordPress Administration Panels, speeding up your navigation through the backend of WordPress.
Sidebar Modules: The Sidebar Modules WordPress Plugin, aka SBM, is similar to the WordPress Widgets Plugin which allows easy addition of Widgets to WordPress blogs. Many are creating modules to work especially with SBM. Recently examples include Latest Post Category WordPress Plugin to display the most recent posts per blog post category and Pipholic Latest Edited Widget Plugin shows off the latest posts edited on your blog. I’m looking for a list of SBM-specific Plugins or Modules – should these be called Modules or Plugins since they are dependent upon the Sidebar Modules WordPress Plugin?
Interesting WordPress Plugins: Some interesting WordPress Plugins I’ve stumbled across recently include:
- Adsense Manager WordPress Plugin, a popular Plugin for those using Adsense ads, has been updated to work better with Google’s new features.
- FeedEntryHeader WordPress Plugin puts copyright and other information at the top of your feed so readers see it first, along with a link to your original post.
- Crossroads WordPress Plugin adds a clean and simple gallery to your WordPress blog for flickr images.
- WARP WordPress Admin Reminder Plugin is a Plugin that offers you reminder of administrative tasks for your blog such as backing it up and checking your spam comments.
WordPress Techniques and Tips
Here are some featured articles and videos from around the WordPress Community and the WordPress Codex, the online manual for WordPress Users, the source to turn to first for your WordPress help.
NOTE: If you would like your WordPress tip and technique included in this list, see Tips For Writing Good WordPress Tips.
- ZEPREZ WordPress Video Guides – How To Create A Link In WordPress 2.0
- The 2 Methods of Showing Excerpts
- WordPress: How To Automatically Create Post Excerpt/Summary
- How To Display Your Twitter Status On A WordPress Blog
- Things You Should Consider When Adding Permalinks to WordPress
- Home and the rest of main menu on a WordPress based web site
- Customize WordPress Quicktags
- WordPress Codex: Using Permalinks
WordPress Community News
Need Help With WordPressMU? Work is ongoing to improve the WordPressMU documentation on the WordPress Codex. If you need help and information on WordPressMU, start there.
WordPress Installed For Free: If you have problems installing the full version of WordPress, visit Installing WordPress for Free (aka Install4Free WordPress). This free, volunteer-driven service is limited to personal blogs only, and they help only with installations, not upgrades.
Looking for a WordPress Expert? WordPress Consultants on Automattic is a list of experts you can hire to help you with WordPress Themes, WordPress development, WordPress Plugins, or other WordPress-related expertise. Also see the WordPress Jobs listings, the WP-Pro mailing list.
Using WordPress in Your Blog’s Name: WordPress is a trademark and you are not allowed to use WordPress in your blog’s name or URL unless you have permission of Automattic and WordPress. Also, remember, it’s spelled “WordPress” not “WordPress”. Oh, and Plugin is Plugin, not plug-in (what you put into a wall electrical socket).
If You Are Reading This: If you are reading this blog post NOT on the Blog Herald or from within your feed reader, it is being used against the copyright policy of the copyright owners. Please report it immediately so action may be taken to break some heads and feed scraping blogs.
Even More WordPress News?
Past WordPress Wednesday News Reports
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress Themes Hacked, WordPress Schwag for Sale, Life Without Akismet, Flickr Edits, and New WordPress Baby
- WordPress Wednesday News: Will You Turn Off Akismet? WordPress 2.4 Delayed, and More WordPress News
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordCamp Melbourne Sold Out Success, WordPress 2.4 Delayed, Security News, Rumors and Scams, and More
- Censoring WordPress.com, New Comment Spam Fighter, More Blog Security News, WordCamp Melbourne, BlogWorld Expo, and More WordPress News
- WordPress Wednesday News: WordPress Wins and Loses, WordCamp Argentina Success, WordPressMU, and WordPress Themes on WordPress.com Debated
WordPress News Sources
- WordPress Planet
- WordPress Development Blog
- WordPress.com Blog
- Weblog Tools Collection
- BloggingPro’s WordPress News and Tips
- The WordPress Podcast
- Lorelle on WordPress
- Planet WordPress from Planet Ozh
Each Wednesday on Blog Herald is WordPress Wednesday, featuring the news around the WordPress Community. If you have a WordPress news item or tip to suggest, please contact me at this special email address: [email protected]